MySQL Database Administrator
Summary of Role
We are looking for an experienced Database Administrator to join our expanding IT Operations team. The successful candidate will be part of a large global multi-international organization working with an array of database platforms and applications. They will be responsible for ensuring the performance, availability, and security of various implementations of Database instances. They will also be responsible for orchestrating upgrades, Tuning, backups, and provisioning of database instances.
It is a challenging role within a rapidly expanding company with a great work ethos who value and develop their employees. We are proud to be an extraordinary equal opportunity employer. Not only do we welcome all candidates, but we promise the opportunity to learn, grow, develop skills, gain knowledge, practice your craft, expand your expertise, and be a part of the leading global multinational company.
What will you be doing?
- Design, deploy and support high available and scalable distributed databases for high volume transactions
- Maintain and develop data models, structures, and procedures to ensure the integrity of all database components
- Ensure performance, security, and availability of 24x7 mission critical databases
- Setup replication across multiple geographically stretched data centers
- Prepare crystal clear documentations and specifications including database design and coding standards
- Handle common database procedures, such as upgrade, backup, recovery, migration, deployments
- Profile server resource usage, optimize and tweak as necessary
- Setup and Maintain High Availability and Disaster Recovery solutions.
- Ensure Change management process is followed
- Provide 24x7 support during on-call support rotation schedule
- Collaborate with other team members and business stakeholders
What will you need?
- 4+ years MySQL dba experience in a Linux/Unix environment, including excellent knowledge with command line and shell scripts (MySQL 5.6 – MySQL 5.7)
- In depth knowledge of database design, normalization and optimization
- In depth knowledge of MySQL internals and different replication topologies
- Experience with Galera (Percona XtraDB Cluster)
- Experience with monitoring and optimization of MySQL databases
- Optional Experience with ProxySQL/HAproxy
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools such as GIT, SVN etc
- Familiar with tools like Puppet, Ansible, Chef, etc.
- Up to date knowledge of de-facto standards and best practices
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Previous Training or Certifications would be a plus
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Flexible, team player and a strong “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or equivalent education
What’s in it for you?
- Generous medical and dental insurance and benefits plan - 100% premium paid!
- Employer-matching RRSP program
- Open concept work environment - we encourage collaboration!
- Endless supply of espresso, coffee, tea and a fully equipped kitchen (you can even make your afternoon cappuccinos or iced-coffee right in the kitchen)
- Fresh fruit baskets delivered to each department twice a week
- $500 towards your favorite health & fitness program
- Parking - yes, it's FREE!
- Team building, staff parties, outing, group activities, you name it!
- Raffles & free ticket giveaways and much, much more!